phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

MK V Thickness Planer

#263430 by jsburger » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:17 pm

The MK V thickness planer is back! Maybe things are not so dismal at SS as some think.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV376

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: MK V Thickness Planer

#263432 by sehast » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 pm

If they sell many of them at almost $1500 per they should get well fast. Other than the variable feed I can't see it has any better features than others on the market selling for less than $500. But I agree we need for them to find a way to stay in business.

#263434 by masonsailor2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:00 pm

They need to offer it with the carbide spiral cutter head. It does one thing that as far as I know no other planer can do which is allowing adjustment of the feed rate independent of the cutter head speed. It’s a very nice feature when working certain woods but a $1000 more is a quite a jump.
Paul

#263436 by garys » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Good for them. I really like my planer. It is a great tool to have if you work with rough cut wood and need to work it into shape yourself.
Whenever possible, I buy rough cut wood and finish it myself. If I get the wood cheap enough, the planer pays for itself in time.

#263442 by jsburger » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:42 pm

garys wrote:Good for them. I really like my planer. It is a great tool to have if you work with rough cut wood and need to work it into shape yourself.
Whenever possible, I buy rough cut wood and finish it myself. If I get the wood cheap enough, the planer pays for itself in time.

Exactly the same here. I bought my Pro Planer new in the late 90's. I have not had one bit of trouble with it. It does an absolutely superb job.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#263452 by skou » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 pm

masonsailor2 wrote:They need to offer it with the carbide spiral cutter head. It does one thing that as far as I know no other planer can do which is allowing adjustment of the feed rate independent of the cutter head speed. It’s a very nice feature when working certain woods but a $1000 more is a quite a jump.
Paul

Paul, the Powermatic/jet/grizzly has 2 speeds for the feed transmission.
I just rebuilt one, for work.

steve

---

10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.